Saturday, October 24, 2009

How Old Am I? (Part II)

Once, a bazillion years ago, I was substituting for a primary grades music teacher. She knew I played guitar & loved singing with the kids from a vast repertoire, so rather gave me free rein in her class -- either than, or she was too lazy to make lesson plans.

Regardless, there I sat with my guitar and about 25 kindergartners sitting on the floor, facing me -- all except for one boy who had his arms folded and his back to me. When I called him on it, he told me he didn't like those songs. "Why not?" "They're baby songs." "Not so. I sing them all the time. Am I a baby?" "No, but Barney sings them." Ah-ha! The truth had come out. "Oh, not to worry. I taught Barney all the songs he sings," I told him. The kid spun around and stared at me wide-eyed. "You mean, you're older than dinosaurs?" "You bet ya." Although he still wouldn't sing the songs, he didn't take his eyes off of me for the rest of his music time.

No comments:

Post a Comment